When to the flowers beautiful, the Father gave a name,
Back came a little blue-eyed one, all timidly it came.
And standing at the Father’s feet and gazing at his face,
It said in low and trembling tones, but with a modest grace,
Dear God, the name Thou gavest me, alas I have forgot!
Kindly the Father looked him down, and said Forget-me-not.
~ by Emily Bruce Roelofson, Cincinatti, OH
I’ve always loved this sweet poem, and adore the tiny Forget-me-not flowers it is based on. I designed this delicate sampler to celebrate these tiny spring flowers and to capture the feelings of new growth and new beginnings. At the top you see a small bouquet of flowers using some specialty stitches and surrounded with lovely cutwork Hardanger. Below are several lovely bands of lacy floral stitches, each special in its own way, using soft greens and gorgeous lavender, pink, soft yellows, and blues.
At the bottom of the sampler you can see a band of Hardanger with beautiful woven patterns, and a lovely band of flowers, as well as a large bouquet of Forget-me-nots tied with a silk ribbon bow. Among these specialty bands, you’ll find Lazy Daisy Stitches, French Knots, Buillion Knots, Smyrna Crosses, Diamond Flower Stitch, Queen Stitches, Square Rhodes, Scotch Stitches, Satin Stitches, Long Arm Crosses, and Partial Diamond Eyelets. The Hardanger stitches include Kloster Blocks, Algerian Eyelets, Dove’s Eyelets and Square Filets. These stitches are a wonderful challenge, but not too difficult for most stitchers. Enjoy stitching this sampler so you will forget-me-not! - Linda
- Design Area: 218h x 78w (15.6"h x 5.6"w)
- Model: 28ct Cashel Linen, 'Light Mocha'
- Cut fabric: 22"high X 12"wide for framing
- Gloriana #134 “Summer Smoke” - pink, blue, green, gold
- Gloriana silk #071 “Winter Brook” - blue, greens
- Caron Waterlilies #038 “Morning Mist” - pink, lavender
- Caron Waterlilies #224 ‘Tiramisu” - cream, pinks
- DMC Floss #745 - yellow lt pale
- DMC Floss #3363 - pine green med
- Kreinik Mori #6123 - lavender lt
- Kreinik Mori #7124 - cream
- Kreinik Mori #8000 - white
- Kreinik Mori #1092 - pink lt
- Kreinik Mori #6124 - lavender med
- Kreinik Mori #8055 - grey brown
- Kreinik #4 Braid #102 - vatican gold
- Access Au ver a Soie #2611 - yellow
- Needlepoint Inc. #0755 - pink dk
- Needlepoint Inc. #0742 - blue
- Needlepoint Inc. #0981 - tan lt
- 4mm silk ribbon #022 - mauve
- DMC #8 Perle Cotton - #712 cream
- DMC #12 Perle Cotton - #712 cream
- Mill Hill petite beads - #40557 - gold
- Mill Hill petite beads - #42027 - champagne
Additional Materials Needed
- #24 Tapestry Needle,
- #10 short Beading Needle
- #7 Straw/Milliner's Needle
Copyright Reminder: As a quick reminder, all of our PDF patterns are copyright protected and – as with all our patterns – are not permitted to be copied or distributed. We appreciate you sharing links here with your friends rather than sharing the actual PDFs :) Thank you!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.